View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #628
JDonaldD
Side-Kick

Default Re: Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
I saw the 'for the sake of your children' line as 'if the bomb doesn't detonate, I will kill your children' which is an idle threat instead of caring for a child.
This is a strange line that I originally did not take as a threat but it might be. I took it as Bane believing that what he is doing is for the good of the world, the children being the ones who will be living in the new, better world he is helping create. This is in line with thinking of himself as "Gotham's reckoning" and "necessary evil."

How Bane views children/innocence might be the key to making sense of his character. We are told that in the prison innocence must be stamped out. Bane then shows the other's by his actions that innocence must be cherished. I think Bane's love for Talia stems from having never seen innocence in the prison, if at all. There is the the twist where we learn that Bane did not escape but there isn't anything to suggest he was lying about anything, particularly having been born "in darkness," ie the pit. If Bane was born in the prison or there as a child, his connection to Talia is obvious. "That's a lovely, lovely voice" might not have been a joke but Bane lamenting the collateral damage in his plan.

JDonaldD is offline   Reply With Quote