View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #647
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Default Re: Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Nolan has stated himself that his goal was never reality, but relatability. If you see something that looks and feels tangible, no matter how fantastical, it can feel real. Take a look at the difference between the original Star Wars films and the prequels. The one done with all real miniatures and props and costumes just feels much more real and relatable, and therefore our main concern becomes the characters, not how much the movie looks/feels like a fantastic unplayable video game with some live actors inexplicably in that world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Here's the difference between what Nolan does and what Marvel does. It doesn't really have much to do with realism.

Nolan tries to capture of the source material, but not by trying to simply put a comic book on the big screen. He uses the source material for inspiration, but tackles the execution like he would any other movie. Marvel tries to capture the essence and feel of the comics, similar to what Raimi did with the Spider-Man films (in which the camp was true to the Silver Age comics). The Marvel Studios films might be less "campy", but they still feel like comic books. Which is fine. It's two different approaches. The illusion of realism that Nolan went for with the Bat-trilogy makes perfect sense, because that's the way many regular action movies are handled.
Excellent posts, you two.

I think another way Nolan's take could be termed as is 'veritability'/'verisimilitude'. I don't think it's ever been meant to be seen as full-blown realism though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
But now that we got this amazing trilogy out of the way, bring on a more stylized, Arkham-like series.
Amen to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I think Bane meant Pavel's children would have a better world if their revolution worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Mmm indeed. I think that line has a touch of that while still being a threat.
Ever since my first viewing, I thought that line was rather weird, but yeah, I definitely think it can be seen in both ways.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html

Last edited by BatmanBeyond; 01-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote