View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: How Long Was Bruce Wayne Actually Batman in this Trilogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
i gotta admit this is the one thing i do not like about the newer movies. the whole deal with batman quitting, then not quitting on and off again was rediculous. the "real" batman, as in the comics, would not keep quitting or trying to look for a reason to quit. batman of the comics, and of the original films, was a super determined person who was literally obsessed with his batman creation and everything from this suit, vehicles, weapons, etc reflected this obsession. I DO understand that the new batmans are trying to be realistic and not trying too hard to be just like the comics, so i guess in a way they get a "free pass" from the fans because of this. but christian bales batman didnt seem nearly as obsessed with batman and his parents murder as he should have been. yes i Begins he did seem so but in the sequels he seemed to be looking for a reason to quit being batman which to me isnt batman at all. val kilmer seemed to get it more right in that deleted scene where he discovers he must be batman "forever" not because he has to be but because he "chooses to be". THATS batman. but in TDK bruce is hopeing harvey dent will be able to take his mantle so batman wont be needed. so your saying once gotham is "fixed", bruce wayne will no longer need to be batman? cmon. evil always is out there. theres always thugs and people to fight. batman wouldnt just leave it up to the police. didnt he try to do something like this in "mask of the phantasm", he'll give more money to the police but he is still haunted by his parents death.
Sure but then the movies never end, they can do 10 movies Bond style, with re-casts and director changes over the course of 25 years and just have Batman never wanting to quit. On and on he goes fighting every villain you can think of. We've seen it before in the animated series, we can read it in the comics. We saw the sequels line up with the Burtons & Shumachers and look at how the quality went down with each sequel. We'll probably get THAT Batman as well in the reboot.

Nolan was trying to tell HIS story. How they interpret Batman as if he was living in our world. With consequences to each action. With a human body that just wouldn't be able to be Batman for several years at a time. I understand that you dont have to make a zillion sequels to show the themes of Batman never wanting to quit. BUT Nolan wanted to bring something different to the film franchise.

It's a franchise that will most likely be the next James Bond. We'll see it go to 50 plus years with many different versions. Hopefully we can get as many different interpretations as possible. And even the haters will at least remember Nolans trilogy as something that was unique compared to the rest and a different story that was told within 20 + movies.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote