View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 PM   #78
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: How Long Was Bruce Wayne Actually Batman in this Trilogy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I am exactly the opposite (clearly). I think it was unnecessary to make it so Batman had retired for years and done nothing. It kinda ruined a part of the film for me. The entire running of the city for nearly a decade had been based on elevating a murderer to icon status and creating laws under false pretences, then it's all sorta washed away. Plus, Bruce never took the hunting and all of the stuff he was promised at the end of The Dark Knight.

The more I think about it, the more I find myself disliking parts of The Dark Knight Rises.
At first, I was a little disappointing with the eight year gap and Bruce not being Batman in the interim. But when I watched the movie thought it through it made sense, though is not necessary what everybody wanted. Viewed from a logical stand point, it doesn't make sense that Bruce risks himself as Batman if there is not a good enough reason. It was the consequences of TDK's ending and how they where played that lead to this state like I mentioned before. If, for example, Batman went to stop criminals, Gordon would have been put into a very uncomfortable situation. I don't think Bruce would have wanted this. If however, a threat big enough to require Batman arise, he would had stood up to face it no matter what, and he would be hunted. This happens on TDKR in a similar fashion.

However if we where talking about "not an ending" then we come to an episodic approach, following a similar structure of TDK. It could be done and done great, but I prefer the ending approach, because it works better as the trilogy now has a familiar narrative structure (Beginning, Middle and End). Keep in mind that took almost ten years of Nolan's and his crew lives to do this. I wouldn't have wanted to see a Batman sequel to Nolan films without Nolan.

Quote:
I love Timm's too, and for a shared universe, it takes the #1 spot, but would it have killed him to include Jason (properly)?
I got into the comics way after the animated series, so I didn't know that Tim Drake was an amalgamation of Drake and Todd. So it didn't bother me much

Quote:
Hm. Must have just missed a generation in the UK then. My parents grew up on West, my siblings on Keaton/Kilmer, myself on Clooney/Timm.
My childhood was a mixed bag. I got the Burton films on T.V., the animated series and every now and then reruns of the 66's series.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote