View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #630
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Funny you would say this, when you're probably the most self-righteous person on this board, and you're always telling people what to do, what to like and not to like, how to behave and - worst of all - making bizarre psychological analysis assuming "other" people are the ones who have problems.
I suppose I can see the what to like what not to like cuz I know I get incredibly opinionated (seriously, will never understand the John Ottman love) but the "what to do" and "how to behave" is mystifying. "Hey you! I know you're on the other side of the world but peel me a grape! And do it... CHIVALROUSLY!"

Quote:
If Singer has a better working relationship with a different composer, then I'd rather him go with what works for him that try to stick to some arbitrary formula. There's no point in Singer directing it at all if he's just supposed to pretend to be Matthew Vaughan... and in that same veign, it's naive for you to assume that ANY change is Singer screwing with the formula. As the man who succesfully brought the X-Men to the big screen in the first place, with 2 films and in an era when succesful superhero films weren't that common, I'd say he deserves a little more faith... Especially considering how much faith your putting in a composer who, apart from First Class, has an otherwise bland record.
I'm not asking him to pretend to be Matthew Vaughn. He's already brought in most of his old crew and I haven't got a problem with that. But the composer is his own CHARACTER, and while his track record isn't ideal, what he brought to First Class was incredible and would be noticeably missed in its sequel.

Singer did do a great service with X1-2, for the time they came out. But in the 12 years since, the movies have not aged well (X1 is completely unwatchable) against the backdrop of current superhero films. Singer's most recent hero flick, Superman Returns, was a mess. Valkyrie wasn't great. Jack the Giant Slayer doesn't look as promising as I had hoped. Singer has always been an excellent producer. I just don't think he's a great director. So instead, I've got to hold onto something production-wise that should, in theory, be successful: the composer.

There is a chance a Singer/Jackman collab could fail. I will admit that. But I will take that risk if only to save the Magneto theme and other melodies from FC that could serve as emotional callbacks. At the very least we need something more subtle than the cartoonish themes of X2. Which again, worked at the time. But don't hold up in 2013.