View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #600
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I'm willing to bet 1 million internet dollars that it IS Janet and that CherokeeSam will be eating his words and all for the character once the movie actually comes out. I think you're just trying to find something to dislike in the movies process. 95% of the people who will be seeing the film do not care about the character of the Wasp/Janet they just want to see a new/strange/secretive character in the movie and that's what she will provide.
I also agree w/ LokiD on the Ultron as preliminary A.I. system. It all just makes too much sense not to be what's next. Janet will probably be undercover w/ AIM trying to get back the Ultron A.I. from them that they stole from Hank as some part of a small sub story in IM3 that will steal non of Tony's glory that some of you seem to be afraid about.
1 million Internet dollars....?!?!
Call my Interwebs bookie and book that action....I'm in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDionysos View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Just to make it shorter
Well we wouldn't even know it's her for the whole movie, and Pym is sort of thrown into the mix during the credits but we wouldn't actually see him.

I realize it's confusing the way I lay things out and sometimes there's hidden double meaning... however this would all go along with what I'm saying about them being part of a bigger world now and they just don't know it.

These movies are being planned to be a lot bigger...

There is an AI subplot in this movie and a controlling things subplot.

Part of Ant Man's story has already played out.
Because Ant Man occurs in the past.
That's the only reason you think her character may be strange right now.
Something happened that we're not supposed to know until Ant Man actually comes out. We're not supposed to know it's her until the credits and it sets up a further mystery element... almost to generate intrigue in the characters with the general audience...

She's trying to stop the technology, which hasn't become fully self aware yet. Ultron technically wouldn't be complete...AIM steals Stark's AI network design and Mandarin's own evil technology becomes self aware.
Way further down the line is when everything would be revealed and she would grow into a leader....

But Stark doesn't even know what shes doing yet... The whole point is that she has a mind of her own separate from Hank... Once revealed and her character is furthered her role in IM3 may retroactively be a lot more clear, so the way you interpret the movie may all change after Avengers 2... and some of this may be true for the other movies as well. the thing about this is that it wouldn't be fully explained until Ant Man acts as a prequel to almost the whole series... at least the modern parts of it starting sometime in the 80s when AIM got started..

The whole reason for the plan to address where Pym has gone is because Wasp's character seems pretty much set to appear before him, and Marvel/Whedon seem set on using her. More or less another rough plan exists to bring the character of Wasp into Avengers 2 and my source has even seen concept art and all that helping them decide how to make her look in Avengers 2... There was a very Waspy plan to Avengers and there is a very Waspy plan in action for Avengers 2, Whedon was trying to drop us all hints. They actually got to the script stage in early Avengers drafts with Wasp in the story. That's key.

The plans can always change and I've seen different scenarios, but the gist of what they're going for seems to be to set up some mystery for where Pym is. And then finally reveal it all in Ant Man, after Avengers 2.
They want to present Pym a certain way too I'm sure, but I know more about Wasp so some of this is me speculating to try to figure things out for myself.

Even though there's test footage, the actor playing Pym won't be announced/revealed because its not set and he's a bigger part of Ant Man. it was easier to find someone to play Wasp because they don't have to lead the movie and have a lot of other plans for her.

Well as I've said that's only one of the concepts, the basic idea is she grows into a leader over time.

There's a few different ways they could bring them into it, but the main thing is that Wasps role will likely become that of a sort of field leader who settles disputes between the others.
It's their idea to make Wasp a big part of this and always has been.

We're not supposed to know what she's doing.
And like everything Jan would be sort of a mixture of 616 and ultimates and other incarnations, she actually wants to be in the battles whereas Pym doesn't at first.
A lot of other aspects of the character are completely what you'd expect, the Ant Man movie sets up their powers and all that, so the fact they already have powers and we don't know who they are completely yet, and Pym is missing makes the general audience need to see Ant Man as part of the plan. The thing is Ant Man is now set to explain some other things in a prequelish way. It may be Pym looking back on the name Ant Man, completely accepting it after Lang dies...

I'm not overthinking, I've just got two heads working on it and too much information coming from my source. Some of it winds up mixed and it's not on purpose.
Loki, you've got speculation heaped upon speculation there. You're taking one speculative angle at face value and piling another speculation on top of that, then accepting *that* speculation as fact so that you can pile *more* speculation on top of that....it's a house of cards.

Look outside the box. Put things in perspective. Yes, we know that Whedon originally intended for Wasp to be in Avengers 1, but he says he couldn't find a place for her....that means that, even if your "sources" and speculation about this "Waspy" script were right, even Joss thought it was all bull**** and scrapped it from Day One.

The other point to consider is that if/when Janet Van Dyne shows up in the MCU, she will, of necessity, have/need a role in Edgar Wright's Ant-Man movie. Anything the screenwriter does for Janet in any prior movies (like, per your speculation, IM3 and Avengers 2) would have a great impact on what Wright can or cannot do with the character, then, in *his* movie. Do you really think that Shane Black or Joss Whedon want to step on Edgar Wright's toes and shackle him to THEIR vision for Janet....? I strongly doubt it.

Another point: you're basing your theories about Hank Pym being in the past on a first draft of a Joe Cornish script that's already gone through at least three rewrites and six years of a rapidly changing environment at Marvel Studios. We have no evidence whatsoever that the original concept of a 1960s Pym and a 21st century Lang are even in play any more.

And finally, the other point to consider is: is Stephanie Szostak superhero material? Does anybody here really envision Stephanie Szostak as becoming a prime mover in the Avengersverse? Someone whose star power will carry through all the Avengers sequels and Ant-Man? Off of a bit part in IM3? She's hiding her age well, but I've seen her in several movies, and she may be a pretty lady, but she's also a pretty old lady. I'd say she's chasing 40 and catching up to it in a damn quick hurry, if she hasn't already taken the lead.

I strongly doubt Szostak is Marvel's choice for a major Avenger. When Janet Van Dyne *does* enter the MCU, it will be a major role, and it will be very publicly known, because Marvel will go through the same very public auditioning and casting sessions that they've done for all their other lead heroes, up to and including the buzz surrounding casting for Star-Lord and Drax in GOTG right now. Renner and ScarJo are the only major MS superheroes I can think of that amounted to "surprise" announcements; and the surprise there came from the fact that they landed marquee Oscar-caliber players. Szostak, on the other hand, is a Hollywood nobody, comparatively speaking.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014