View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
bbf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rank the 3rd CBM's in a franchise.

Personally I don't think Superman Returns should count, it's kind of a stretch to consider it a "third installment." Also you guys are forgetting Blade Trinity.

1. TDKR. An uneven and disappointing movie considering the highs of BB and TDK, which I think are the best two superhero films ever made. But TDKR still had good elements and I wouldn't call it a bad movie. It's still overall pretty good, despite being disappointing. Every other film on this list I would consider a bad movie, so it wins hands down.

2. X-Men the Last Stand. I really hated this movie and in my character ranking thread I've basically written essays about why it doesn't work. So the fact that its second speaks volumes about what's below it. The thing that bugged me the most was the haphazard and disrespectful way it killed Cyclops in the beginning, and no one cared about him after he died. That being said I think a casual fan who doesn't know anything about comics could probably watch this movie and think it was an uneven action movie but wouldn't think it was horrible or anything.

3. Spider-Man 3. This movie ruined Maguire's Peter Parker, and the scenes with him doing the emo thing, dancing and then hitting MJ were horrible. But it still had some cool visual moments, like the birth of the Sandman and the fight in the subway. I also enjoyed finally seeing Venom on the big screen even if the character was given the shaft and was just kind of thrown in at the end.

4. Batman Forever. I didn't think the interactions with Robin were all that bad, and I liked that they tried to give Batman an actual arc. (even if it wasn't pulled off great). Other than that the movie is complete crap. It baffles me how they could have ruined Two-Face so badly by having him completely ham it up the whole time. Wouldn't it be much better if you had one hammy over the top villain (Riddler) and then make Two-Face a serious, threatening one? Isn't that dynamic much more interesting than two wacky villains trying to out-ham each other? And don't get me started on the plot to suck brainwaves through TVs.

5. Superman III. Richard Pryor is one of the best comedians of all time, so the fact that he was completely unfunny in this movie baffles me. This movie tries to squeeze in several different plot points and fails at each one. Having Superman turn evil could have been a great idea and a way to explore his darker side, but they ruin it by just making it a confusing joke instead. The fight with the evil computer at the end was also ludicrous. (So Pryor can't create Kryptonite because it has an element he can't get access to, but a giant robot he built that can "sense people's weaknesses" is somehow able to conjure Kryptonite out of thin air?)

6. Blade Trinity. A complete and total joke. At least in Superman III I got to see Christopher Reeve playing Superman. This movie has no redeeming qualities. Wesley Snipes is tired and bored the whole movie, Whistler is unceremoniously killed for no reason and we don't see any emotional impact on the part of either Blade OR his own daughter, Jessica Biel is flat and has no character other than "likes to listen to techno music," and Ryan Reynolds (who I actually like in some movies) is just incredibly obnoxious. Blade fighting Dracula you would think could be awesome, but this version of Dracula is completely boring and is the least intimidating of the three foes Blade has faced throughout the movies despite the fact that the movie keeps trying to tell us that he's the biggest baddie ever.

bbf2 is offline   Reply With Quote