View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #997
baerrtt
Side-Kick

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Personally, I hope for more Simon Pegg/Martin Freeman/Noomie Rapace-like actors and less Chris Pines.

I know that attitudes have changed, but when I re-watch the original trilogy, I am struck by how relatively human the cast looks, free of nose jobs and boob jobs and over-worked gym physiques. Of course, Harrison Ford was a good looking guy, but it is treated as incidental to the movies, and the camera treats him no differently from Luke or Chewie.

I think, for a movie where it is essential that you can relate to and like the principle cast, it is helpful if they seem like real human beings (or Wookies, or whatever). This is one of the problems I think a lot of people had with 'Prometheus' in comparison to 'Alien'. Noomie apart, the crew in the former looked like and felt like Hollywood actors. I think the same contrast can be identified between the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequels.
That's the thing alot of the blockbusters in the 70s and 80s gave you, a sense of reality when the heroes or heroines were played by 'ordinary looking' people and is as much the reason movies of that era such as STAR WARS, JAWS, ROCKY eyc appealed to me. For example I know some fanboys today moan about her casting due to her looks but Margot Kidder's Lois Lane is still my favourite incarnation of the character in any screen adaptation partially because the production goes full throttle with her possible audience alienating personality of being a chain smoking, tough and pushy reporter and by casting Kidder, who was attractive before her drug use spiralled out of control, Donner wanted an actress who had the ability to make audiences warm to the character as the picture went on rather than casting someone 'hotter' who the straight male audience would immediately 'forgive' . Today producers and directors talk alot about wanting audiences to care for their characters in whatever big movie they're part of but cynically, as was the case with PROMETHEUS, you get the impression that by casting better looking actors they're hoping that will do the trick in itself.

Last edited by baerrtt; 01-09-2013 at 08:24 AM.