View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #161
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Default Re: The (potential) Masters of Evil thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It also would have made sense if the nuclear bomb hadn't stopped the soldiers, but cutting off the transmission did. They made it feel like the portal being open was a threat, even though there was no actual threat described or specified. It's funny, Whedon kept saying it's a very flawed film, but I'm always like 'yeah, I guess so' but I think that's part of what he's talking about.
Hehe, yeah, I mean, it doesn't bother me so much that I don't still love the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Nuclear explosions in space would be adequately blocked by Earth's atmosphere anyway. Our atmosphere shields us from worse cosmic radiation than a single nuclear bomb every second of every hour of every day.

Plus, the whole idea that Iron Man and/or the Chitauri would "fall" to Earth is jaw-droppingly inaccurate. It's *space* --- there's no gravity there at all. Everyone and everything, including IM, should have just floated around. I guess you could say the force of the explosion propelled them in a certain direction.....maybe....
Well, I think the portal was actually within the earth's atmosphere, so it's possible that there could have been some danger in keeping the portal open. And yeah, I meant that a few of the pieces of the mothership/Chitauri would have been propelled towards and into the portal by the explosion, especially since there were still quite a few leviathans and Chitauri cruisers exactly between the mother ship and the portal at the time the nuke hit. And it's not jaw-droppingly inaccurate in the least to say that they would then "fall" to Earth after passing through the portal and into Earth's atmosphere. By no means was I implying that anything would have been sucked into the portal.

Anyway, no use in nitpicking over what we're all agreeing was a plot hole in the first place. It's just sad that one extra line giving a better reason to close it than "none" could've plugged it completely.

Last edited by spideymouse; 01-09-2013 at 12:31 PM.
spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote