View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Commiserations to all involved with TDKR. I said from the outset that it wouldn't win anything of substance, and nor did it deserve to on its own merits, but I am a bit surprised that it didn't manage to get any recognition in any technical category. The always seem to add a degree of insult to injury- for me, it is the predictable but unjustified feting of "Les Mis". Boring musical, horrid bourgeois music, boring cast, boring direction; safe Oscar-bait.

It is increasingly clear that there is a model "safe" Oscar film. It needs to have a suitably worthy topic- a literary adaptation or a historical biopic- a safe director, and an expensive cast. It shouldn't be too challenging or controversial. I am not saying that all movies of this type are bad, but it makes the Oscars a predictable and slightly pointless exercise, because movies get trimmed and polished to suit the formula. It has probably made film less interesting. A similar process has occurred in the production of fine wine: because high ratings from certain critics increase the market value of wines, their producers just make them to the individual critics' taste, and now different wines taste much alike.

I digress. Boo-hiss to "Les Mis". I know it is divisive here, but I hope that "Skyfall" gets its cinematography award, which it richly deserves.
The only thing TDKR had a chance at was Cinemetography and Skyfall pretty much knocked it out of that catagory.

I disagree about Les Mis, but that's a matter of opinion I suppose.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V