View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #82
Frodo
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
IMO TDKR had more balls and ambition than any other film from 2012. We can argue the execution all day, but Nolan did some extraordinary, outside the box things with the freedom he was given on a project of this size, and he did so while honoring a pop culture icon and making a great mass entertainment film.
I can only partially agree though the Academy members might argue that its an outside the box thinking ...for an action/superhero film ,but I think its hard it argue its the most ambitious film of 2012.

Its a solid flick but I really couldn't say it had balls . If Nolan had actually killed Bruce Wayne and much of his supporting cast then I would have agreed with you . I really cant say it was outside the box except that it was influenced by Knightfall, The Dark Knight Returns and No Mans Land which hadn't been done on film before. Other then that , the themes about dealing with retirement, the young brutal upstart vs the aging champ, and the protagonist going out on one last horah aren't the most original and daring themes in Hollywood films. They've been done over and over again for years in Hollywood films.

I would agree that the scale of the story was ambitious.