View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #112
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Fair enough. I haven't seen it yet, but will at some point. I suppose I dislike the notion of QT directing a shocking film about slavery, when he just wants to make a career out of putting silly comic violence, B-movie dialogue and cardboard characters to other film's music. It seems to cheapen the whole thing. But, I will approach it on its own merits.
He still manages to deliver a pretty even handed portrayal of the South even with his usual trademarks. Which is pretty spectacular. The violence on the slaves is surprisingly gritty, while the violence dealt to the slavers is over the top, almost cartoony, but it all works. The slavers are cardboards, but the main characters have enough nuances to them so the drama is not compromised. They skirt the line of over the top and three dimensional like most Tarrantino characters. They feel like they might exist in the real world, but maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
You getting tired by that argument ? This being written in this board is very funny and ironic

(altough i do agree with you that rip-off is a very exaggerated term to classify the movie. Influenced , like the other Bond movies were to Nolan's Batman. The son becomes the father , and the father becomes the son )

If one or two small similarities are enough to brand Skyfall a TDK ripoff, then TDKR is The World is Not Enough 2.0.

The Centurions Live Action Film!