View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #110
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: Why did the League of Shadows want to destroy a peaceful city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
When you look at it that way, Lobster (can I call you that? lol), any city in the world can be 'bred' by the League to be deemed fit for a League annihilation.

You would have to be perfectly utopic with no flaws, which even if it were possible to do that, you have to grow the city toward that over time, not grow it deliberately in the opposite direction.

It does reflect God in that God created man imperfect and then punished him for being imperfect.

You're also right about it being a strong mirror to what the Joker said, which I'm surprised I didn't consider yet. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
You can certainly call me Lobster

I agree that the League could influence any city into being deemed fit for annihilation. However, Gotham is special in that it is said to be "the world's greatest city" in this trilogy, once by Ra's himself. I've said this a lot before, but I think they saw Gotham as the symbolic poster child for Western civilization and decadence. A modern day Roman Empire (which we learn, they also attacked). I feel the aim of the League, both in the comics and films is to essentially "reboot" society. In the comics, Ra's often wants to wipe out most of the world's population. In the films, it seems that he focused on fostering Gotham's destruction from within as something to jumpstart the rest of the world into moving towards a more balanced utopia. Others have said that I am just exercising in conjecture and that Ra's merely wanted to take down a corrupt city and that in and of itself was the point. But lines like, "Tomorrow the world will watch in horror as its greatest city destroys itself. The movement back to harmony will be unstoppable this time" seem to strongly suggest some kind of global outlook on the situation.

But yeah, overall whether one takes this as conjecture or valid insight, I am grateful that the movies provide a lot of substantial ideas to chew on, even if they're not all profusely elaborated on. A lot of the League's ideals are really a dark mirror of Batman's. They're both, in theory, trying to create a better world. Both see themselves above the law, enforcing their will upon society in a God-like way. The dichotomy of Batman and the LOS shows just how slippery the line between good and evil can be.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote