View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #393
OB12
Side-Kick

Default Re: Changing the roster for Avengers 2?

Quote:
Why would the overlap of Spidey's universe in Sony and the MCU necessitate a Marvel Studios Spider-Man movie? There *is* such a thing as "outsourcing." If you let multiple studios (Sony, Fox, MS) handle different facets of the same shared universe, then you're giving fans exactly what they want --- moar Marvel. When you try to consolidate every Marvel property at MS, then you're severely limiting yourself to the only-two-films-a-year model, which means major, MAJOR, MAJOR Marvel characters will have to get sent to the backburner. Nobody wants that.

Neither fans nor general audiences would be the least bit confused by a truly shared universe that extends across multiple studios, because they *know* that Spidey, the X-Men, and the Avengers share the same comic book universe. And questions about "well then, where were the X-Men or Spidey while the Avengers were out saving the world from aliens? Or why didn't the Avengers help the X-Men when everybody was trying to go all genocide on mutantkind?" are *age-old questions* that us fanboys have been asking the Marvel Bullpen for decades.

Look, the "whar's Spidey and Wolverine?!?" questions are tiresome, but they're definitely applicable to this thread. In the 21st century, Spidey and Wolverine ARE Avengers, thanks to Bendis, whether anyone likes it or not. So the question is going to keep coming up again and again. Grin and bear it.
I agree with all of this. The out-and-out denial that TASM could possibly at some point be part of the MCU is a little too arrogant for my liking. I see the reasoning behind Spidey being included, makes a great deal of sense to me and is quite likely a great opportunity for both Sony and Disney. I think it happens eventually, but more from the aspect of Spidey is part of the MCU, not necessarily part of The Avengers. It allows the integration of the two franchises but leaves Spidey to do his own thing, for the most part.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote