View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #148
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: A Spider-Woman film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistsean View Post
I would wonder if because of the success of Spider-Man and because of her name and her being a Marvel character like Iron Man or Captain America or Spider-Man, that most studios would want to make her movie a typical Marvel movie like Iron Man or Spider-Man, which would add (I think) to the confusion of most viewers who already think she is connected to Spider-Man because of her name.
But I (didn't know exactly what the comic was like having not read her in anything but Avengers) think that her movie should be like the comic. Grittier, darker in tone, more dramatic in tone, more serious, with threats on a more political/global terrorist level than what Spider-Man or Iron Man face. The tone would help separate her from Spider-Man. If the tone is more like a political thriller people will sort of seperate her from Spider-Man automatically. And then she can say something like "He doesn't own that name." Or whatever.

I say do both, a Spider-Girl movie in the same tone as Spider-Man, as a spin off of sorts (like a She-Hulk movie) but then also a dark gritty Spider-Woman movie. They might have to call her movie Jessica Drew or call her the Spider instead of Spider-Woman. The Spider sounds more like a spy code name anyway, rather than Spider-Woman which sounds super heroic.
She was originally called Arachnia by Hydra. Her origin is pretty dark (she was originally led to believe that she had evolved from an actual spider - which was in fact the idea they first used, but nixed by Stan Lee for being too disgusting). The early comics are quite typical Bronze Age Marvel horror in the vein of Ghost Rider, Werewolf by Night, Tomb of Dracula, Dr Strange etc.

The pre-Spider-Woman comics where she's this mysterious Hydra operative have her sent to kill Nick Fury and she even comes into conflict with the Thing in London in Marvel Two-in-One.

Her cast of characters were typically the likes of Morgan Le Fay, Werewolf by Night, Brothers Grimm, Nekra (who hangs with the Avengers villain Grim Reaper sometimes), the Shroud, Gypsy Moth, Viper and Hydra. Those comics are really a world away from Spider-Man. It's only really the animated series and the New Avengers that have made her more of a typical heroine.

The one thing she does have in common with a more traditional hero is the whole "woman out of time" thing like Captain America. But early Spider-Woman is more anti-hero.