View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #273
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
Whaaat? Bruce in Begins has a lot of outbursts of rage, and moments of huge sadness or despair. He also has a lot of very tense stares in the film, oozing with the desire to lash out, you can tell he's wrestling with something heavy in his eyes. Very bottled up. I thought he was great.

I might give you TDK as far as raw emotion goes, but there's at least the Joker interrogation...

I happen like the smooth, calculated, prep-time Batman/Bruce too in the trilogy though, so that side of things is subjective.

He's way intense in Begins though, seriously.
Quote:
Whaaat? Bruce in Begins has a lot of outbursts of rage,
I remember when he aggressively took down Liam after Ras insults his father and that's about it. He was good in that scene, I suppose. But there isn't enough of them.

Quote:
He also has a lot of very tense stares in the film, oozing with the desire to lash out, you can tell he's wrestling with something heavy in his eyes. Very bottled up.
I honestly didn't think he conveyed the full range of those emotions that well. I actually found him more convincing as the reserved Bruce in TDK more than in Begins. Especially in the scene when he is sitting, defeated, with the cowl on his hand after Rachel's death. That scene was convincing than most of Bale's acting in BB for me. In fact, the scene I do love is the scene where he drives away his guest by pretending to be drunk. With that scene and American Psycho, Bale proves he can do the disingenuous, vapid, vacuous, "nothing behind the eyes" extremely well, which might be a hint as to why I thought his plights of emotion didn't feel genuine to me.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote