View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #320
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
Also, the bold part sounds interesting. I'd definitely be curious to read what you have in mind.
We'll see if I ever get around to it. I've had a handful of ideas for Batman stories of the years but they always fizzled out for one reason or another. But lately I've been pretty keen to immerse myself in something like that because I'm feeling the post-Nolan trilogy blues and want to go back to that world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Wow, great points and it's refreshing to see someone demonstrate such a level-headed, well-informed view of the character rather than "Foley sucks!!!" or "More Selina instead of Foley!!". It's almost like people are acting as if Foley had moments dedicated soley to him on-screen. Let's not forget that in pretty much every one of his scenes, he is alongside a main character or other people.
Thanks, and that's another good point. It's not like he had an elaborate subplot of his own. His scenes tended to advance the plot, not slow it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I can see how they could have become those things, but where in the film does it ever actually imply this, or pose this as an issue? The police force seemed fairly on top of things, especially given the 30 seconds it took them to track down the missing congressman once his phone was used.
Alfred is the one to refer the police as "bloated" in the film. It's hinted at in all sorts of ways. Gordon is made fun of by the congressman for being so vigilant ("Hasn't he seen the numbers?"). The way Foley turns a blind eye to the explosion in the sewer and doesn't send anyone down to rescue Gordon. I think the fact that they responded so quickly for the congressman speaks to the fact that it was Gordon still calling the shots and it was a case he had his eye on.

I should rephrase though. Obviously not every cop on the force had become the caricature that Foley was. But things were certainly slower than usual in Gotham, and they weren't at their sharpest as a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Batman could easily have been chased by Random Cop Number 1, any of Foley’s roles and plot point moments could have been filled by Random Cop Number Anything. He wasn’t a compelling enough character for his “choice” to really matter in the end. Remove him and the same themes would likely apply. The only theme relevant to Foley was the political angle, and any political angle introduced with Foley was quickly abandoned, as well as underexplored.
I just don't think the point of his "choice" was to get us to care about him so much as it was to allow us to witness the power of Batman's symbol over someone so seemingly unlikable and cowardly. So yeah, the ideas behind his character could have been spread across random cops throughout the movie, but by consolidating it into one character I think there is more gained than lost. The way the story is structured, with Gordon being hospitalized and the scale of the things that happen, we had to see who was out in the field calling the shots in his absence. Again, I don't object to criticism of the execution, I just don't think it's fair to say the character should not have existed in the first place. The character was a functional cog in the wheel of the story. Perfunctory? Maybe. That doesn't make it "atrocious", "terrible", "awful" or any of the other harsh words that have been thrown around.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158