View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #877
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
It's the benefit of hindsight. I think flared jeans, open-necked shirts and headbands are incredibly cheesy now, but at one point in the 70s they were considered ultra fashionable. I don't dislike the original 'S' symbol but I agree that it now looks a little cheesy compared to newer ones, even the Superman Returns one. It doesn't make it a bad thing; it's just aged and looks very cartoonish next to more modern versions.

As for the new MOS crest, I love it. It retains the fluid lines of the original 'S' symbol from years ago, but adds much more texture, detail and layers. It's the first Superman crest I've seen which (in MY opinion ) is believable as a family crest, and not just a big 'S' which writers are trying to come up with a history or reason for Superman having it.

The very rich red/gold used in it are also less vibrant than the normal bright red/yellow used in the comics, and look more regal - which reinforces the whole effect.
I like the logo on the suit, but I never understood the love for this version of the logo. The curvy lines seem random.