View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #879
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
Your analogy is flawed. The classic \S/ is not a passing trend like clothing styles. It's an icon the world over. Even when new versions of the \S/ are created, the original, CLASSIC shield continues to be used in the bulk of merchandising.

The New 52 shield won't be used in such a widespread manner, nor will this MOS shield.

Perhaps it's a flawed analogy, but my point still stands. Just as there are progressions in fashion and certain things fall out of taste, so too are there progressions in artwork. Comics now are much more detailed, richly illustrated and vivid. The original Superman logo (as pictured below) is reminiscent of older artwork, not more modern.

I totally agree that it's iconic the world over. However, that doesn't change the fact that I still think it looks quite dated now in terms of artwork and style. The MOS logo is the flipside, showing a more modern approach. It's just my opinion, I'm sure there are plenty who will disagree.

I agree also that the new logos probably won't be used in such a widespread manner, but I think that's more to do with a natural reluctance to change any global brand (especially one which is one of the most recognisable icons on Earth) rather than the new logo somehow being inferior in any way.

At the end of the day, at least the new logos are fairly faithful to the original - they could have easily butchered the iconic 'S. Remember this version?