View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #471
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

Quote:
Do you really think Batman meant all of that that when he said you're going to jail lol?

Come on, Guard.
No, but neither did I say he meant all that.

If we’re speculating, and you’re going to bring up points about the liklihood of him being convicted for his involvement, etc, I’m going to respond to them.

Quote:
Not to me it's not. If someone tells someone they're going to jail, the only thing anyone will think is they're going to jail for a considerable amount of time. Not some brief investigative time period jail sentence.
Then I guess you have a really broad definition of “jail”. Even in 1992, “jail” didn’t mean “years in prison”. If someone tells me they're going to jail, I take it to mean "They are going to spend some time in jail", but I don't make assumptions about how long they'll be there.

Quote:
I know he wasn't, I'm saying that's how he looked to Gotham City. Two people. Bruce and Selina, knowing how bad he is but having nothing to prove it, isn't going to help put him away.
I don’t think its quite that simple. Selina flat out knew there was proof of his guilt, because she'd seen it. She also has the whole "He tried to murder me to cover it up" angle to work. She obviously preferred to take revenge herself, believing the law would not work with someone like Schreck.

And Bruce, as the film shows toward the middle of it, commissioned a report about the power surplus that led him to question it, so he obviously has some idea that Schreck's power plant proposal is bogus as well.

Quote:
No, you're missing the point. I'm not saying it's a judicial process movie. I'm saying the movie relies several of it's major plot points on using ACTUAL evidence to convict or condemn or frame someone.
Right. But this isn’t a movie that revolves about Batman gathering evidence to use against The Penguin. It’s a movie about Batman stopping the Penguin and dealing with Schreck, period. The Penguin’s use of the dirt he has to blackmail Schreck is more or less used as a gag, but I'd hardly call it a major plot point. I wouldn’t call any of the instances of the use of evidence “major”, other than possibly Batman's use of Cobblepot's statements to set Gotham against him. Minor plot points, perhaps, part of larger plot elements certainly, but not major in themselves. They're certainly not anything close to the core of the film.

Quote:
This is a world where evidence is obviously vital to get the goods on someone or make them look like criminals and be arrested. So when Batman tells Schreck he's going to jail, it's only natural and logical you'd wonder how and why when not a darn thing was shown or mentioned to make such a thing happen out of the blue.
And if someone had an ounce of sense, if they wondered that, they'd probably assume that Batman has some sort of proof that Schreck is guilty of a crime, even if its just knowledge that he was proposing a bogus power plant based on the study Bruce did.

Quote:
Sure Batman can say anything he wants. I don't know about you, but I prefer it when Batman says things that make sense.
That's just it. It does make sense. Far as I can tell, you just don’t like that they didn’t show Batman gathering evidence against Schreck, and didn't explain which specific evidence was going to be used to charge him at the moment he was told he was going to jail. Which has nothing to do with whether Batman saying “Shut up, you’re going to jail” makes sense as a statement in itself.

Quote:
Really. Makes you wonder why he didn't tell Penguin he was going to jail then when he confronted him earlier in the movie after learning he runs the Red Triangle gang but couldn't prove it
I dunno, because that's not the dialogue the writers chose to use. Perhaps Batman doesn’t randomly go around telling people they’re going to jail unless the moment calls for it. Given the events of the film…he never really gets the chance to do so anyway. He asks Penguin what he’s after, Penguin is kind of cryptic about his aims, implies Batman won’t win, and then Catwoman shows up and Penguin escapes via umbrella.

Quote:
It's not questioned. Selina makes some BS statement about the law not applying to people like Schreck or her and Batman, to which Batman says she's wrong on both counts.
And that "BS statement" is her questioning the idea of Batman taking Schreck to jail/the police working. The movie makes this pretty clear.

Quote:
Another funny statement from Batman, considering Batman gets away scot free with killing criminals lol.
It’s not funny. The writers want you think about the concept of them as vigilantes, to consider whether the law should apply to them as well, or whether they have the right to take matters into their own hands.

Quote:
Now that I can buy.
And this is inherent in the scene.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote