View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #436
RustyCage
Come what may..

Default Re: am I the only one who DIDN'T think Nicholson nailed joker??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
he only wanted to kill Batman because Batman dropped him in the chemicals. It wasn't a very interesting Batman/Joker feud.
Yeah, I always had a bit of trouble with the writing side of his character. The motivation wasn't very gripping for me. I know he was resentful towards Batman, but was it really about dropping him into the chem vat? It seemed more like it was about Batman thwarting his plots.

It also seemed to be a spotlight jealousy thing, like he was extremely vain. Wanted people to gossip and ooh and aah over him like they did Batman.

"This town needs an enema!"

Other than that, he was just evil because he was crazy and a mobster, which is all that was really necessary to sell an audience on a supervillain at the time. I think the sense of him being loud, homicidal, artsy nuts against Batman's quiet, calm, vengeful nuts enamored a lot of people into giving the interpretation of the character a lot of credit that, by today's standards, it doesn't deserve anymore.

It was a stepping stone for comic movies at the time though. I try to keep that perspective in mind when I rewatch it.