View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #416
Kryptonian Titan
Most powerful being.

Default Re: Thor 2 Dark World news, speculation and pictures possible Spoilers - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
You might be right about Hopkins as Odin. I don't mean to belittle Sir Anthony in any way, but he belongs to a group of very accomplished thespians of the "golden ager" variety who are perfectly happy to take (and keep) ANY role just to keep working. That includes Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Ben Kingsley, Michael Caine, Samuel L. Jackson, Morgan Freeman, Jeff Bridges and others --- who are all, unsurprisingly, gold mines for comic book movies.

So yeah, I'm sure Hopkins would be perfectly happy to keep playing Odin for as long as Marvel wants him to.

Portman, however, I have strong doubts about. I think she might've been misled about the tone of the Thor franchise when she saw names like Branagh, Hopkins, Russo, Samjack, Skarsgard and others attached. Now that she realizes that it's popcorn comic-book action instead of "srs bsns" Dark Knight drama, she doesn't seem overly enthusiastic. I dunno. I just think she's still young, and still has a career to think of, and she wants to be a dramatic actor instead of a damsel-in-distress for a CBM; whereas someone like Hopkins has nothing left to prove, and can afford to just have fun with his roles.
I don't know if your point about Portman holds... She seems comfortable enough to be in (crappy) popcorn movies like No Strings Attached and Your Highness.