View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #595
JMA610
Advanced Webslinger

Default Re: Webbing formula - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
Good job on the exam, JMA610! I don't know what i got yet, but the instructor says the highest score ever on this test was 63/73... I am planning to beat that
But, actually graphene isn't a compound, so it doesn't have a formula.
Carbon is the most magic element in the world. It is the basis of organic life, and can bond in more ways than any other atom. This is because of its electronegativity and the fact that it has 4 valence electrons, so none of its valence orbitals have been filled except the 2s. Graphene is just carbon forming bonds to itself, resulting in carbon nanotubes, which is the strongest substance on the planet (kind of, diamond is the hardest, but graphene can stand the most tensile force, and is more malleable than diamond).
There is a way to make graphene, for only about 40 dollars. The guys who figured this out got Nobel Prizes in science. You take pure magnesium, light it on fire, and then put it between two blocks of dry ice. Then wait, and soon you'll get out a little ball of magnesium oxide and graphene. Magnesium oxide is soluble in water, so you can dissolve the magnesium oxide in water and then extract the graphene by filtering. It's really magic.

As for my formula, I did a little write-up on it here:
http://realwebtech.webs.com/apps/blo...micro-membrane
But I might change it to include graphene, or just use graphene with it.
Thanks! And good luck with yours! I have looked at some articles on graphene and essentially I think it comes down to sheets a few atoms thick of hexagonal carbon molecules bonded to each other, like you said. And I hyave heard of that experiment. A while back during an experiment in the chem lab with Mg & HCl I swiped like 15 small pieces of the Mg we were using. Unfortunately it didnt light, and my chem teacher said that it wouldnt be the best quality for that experiment. So now I've just got to find some for cheap. And an interesting thing about MgO= not only does it have expansive properties (ie the surfactant that WW incorporated into his fluid) but it is also incredibly strong (although it would merely be a reinforcement to the graphene). By using this, especially the graphene, since it will bond with virtually anything, WW stated that it would be vital to making the fluid molecules as large and as compatible as we wanted. I'll look into the bonding diagrams for the elements of your formula (no pun intended) and post them up here so we can maybe get a visual for what we are dealing with. I'm more of a visual learner, so if I'm the only one who wants the diagrams up, I'll just take a gander myself.

JMA610 is offline   Reply With Quote