View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #139
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: How long did Nolans Batman actually fight crime?(SPOILERS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Doesn't sound horrible, shallow or boring. Bruce has no actual family and the only woman he claimed to have loved is dead. Having nothing is not a bad portrayal because he does have nothing and especially in the moment of TDKR where he has even more of nothing.
Exactly. I thought it was totally in keeping with the Bruce Wayne character to not let go of something that way.

Bruce is a very rigid guy who never lets go of anything. His father's dying words were to not be afraid, and he obviously to that straight to heart. He was still holding onto and honoring the idea that he'd have a normal life with Rachel if Gotham ever didn't need Batman. So when Gotham finally doesn't need Batman, but his "after Batman" plans are no longer an option, Bruce falls into this limbo where he kind of ceases to exist without a purpose. Things didn't go according to his grand plan, and he's too stubborn and broken to find happiness. He lost the will to live.

I think it's beautifully tragic, which makes it all the more inspirational that Bruce is able to overcome all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
(and note that all 3 aspects that shut Bruce down are based on lies. The lie of Harvey Dent, the lie that his energy project failed, and the lie that Rachel chose Bruce)

By the end, the truth had surfaced, painful as it was, but necessary, and Bruce was able to give the city its true symbol of hope and bring it out of apathy (and a protector in case things go wrong again), he succeed in "Bruce Wayne's" philanthropic efforts with the boys' home, and was able to let himself find love again (first with Miranda, and then with Selina, when Talia lay a bombshell on him that could have had him regress, had it not been the quick arrival and reminder of others like Selina).
That's an awesome angle to look at it from, the fact that everything that broke him down was based on a lie.

He really ascended from darkness into light in this movie, in every way.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 01-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote