View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #92
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
Whedon has already gone on record as saying that he wants a female addition to Avengers. I think Ms. Marvel is the most likely candidate, and the S.H.I.E.L.D. show is the perfect way to introduce her. Since he has creative input, he can handle weaving her into the overall Avengers arc exactly how he wants to.

Think about it: the Mar-Vell/Danvers storyline is a natural fit for something like the S.H.I.E.L.D. series. They said it will reference Marvel heroes, but maybe not feature them, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that they could be investigating some of the threats Fury alluded to in Avengers, and one of those threats could be the Kree. Mar-Vell could be a plant in S.H.I.E.L.D., he interacts with Danvers...stuff happens...and whammo! Ms. Marvel is available for A2.
Sounds plausible enough; but dropping a MAJOR Avenger into the middle of a show which may or may not even last past a few episodes on ABC is an extremely risky maneuver. I think Carol is more likely to show up in GOTG than SHIELD.

Quote:
Black Widow and Hawkeye are not sidekicks. MCU War Machine and Falcon are pretty much the definition of one.

Planting Falcon in A2 now is to assume a huge popularity bump for that character, and they don't have a clue how much/little fans will like Mackie's performance. Seems like a risk that Marvel doesn't usually take. Hawkeye and Black Widow have more connection to the Avengers stories than War Machine and Falcon. They all have connections, of course, but BW and Hawkeye's are stronger. I don't really see it as the same thing.
Neither War Machine nor Falcon are "sidekicks" of any sort. In fact, they've fought against that label for decades. They are partners and friends of Tony and Steve, and both Tony and Steve would consider Rhodey and Sam their equals. And vice versa.

In fact, IM3 and CATWS have a great opportunity here to actually show Rhodey and Sam as their equals, and bona fide superheroes in their own right. A new generation of (movie) fandom can grow up knowing War Machine and Falcon as major Avengers and black superhero role models, instead of confining them to the realm of sidekickery that older fandom does.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014