View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 AM   #288
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Anime that would make great film adaptations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would make a great film franchise IMO. I will go as far as to say that it has the potential to become as big as LOTR and the original Star Wars trilogy if done right. The only problem other than adapting it well are the special effects. That last fight scene in particular cannot look good on the big screen today. However, I would love to see it get done in 10 to 20 years from now. If done properly, the special effects of that last fight can be on par with Avatar's or even better.

The anime is also short (just 27 episodes long) and has a very epic in scale film feel that I can't describe (if you watched it, you know what I mean). Most of the soundtrack would also translate to film perfectly with very little to no editing. Some of the OST literally sounds like it was pulled straight out of a big budget Hollywood movie. As for story wise, I think it has the potential to blow the mass audience away.

Other animes and mangas I can picture being adapted well into live-action are Gundam (which many of you have already brought up), Fullmetal Alchemist, Darker than Black, Full Metal Panic, Afro Samurai, Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and that's all I can think of off the top of my head. At least all I can think of out of the animes I would like to see get adapted in live-action. There are also some animes that I think do work in live-action but would bring nothing interesting even if adapted.

Stuff like Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Fairy Tail should never be turned into live-action. They simply can't be adapted mainly due to their nature and length.
I disagree about those, all three of them can start with a one-shot film that's not asking for a sequel, and have the potencial to be big films. One Piece, while it's certainly the best shonen right now and has an amazing story would only be possible if a lot of money was put into it's production, the people behind it were huge fans, and they had vizionary creative minds behind it.

I don't see that happening anytime, casting the OP characters wouldn't be as difficult though, since the only main character that should be cast as japanese is Zoro, as stated by Oda Luffy would be brazilian.

DB could be a road movie on that incredible universe where a young boy discovers the world for the first time, Naruto can start with Zabuza arc, and Bleach could adapt until the end of gran fisher. WOuldn't adapt Fairy Tail, it doesn't bring anything new the other animes already do

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote