View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #291
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Anime that would make great film adaptations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I just can't see it. Not only they're way too long and thus it would take forever to tell the whole story (and you would have to film them back to back in the case of something like One Piece if you don't want your actors to age by much) but there are some things in those animes that work best in that medium and I just can't see being done in live-action.
Aging the characters is one of the things the movies should do, instead of having Naruto as an all powerful monster that's only 16 years old. Fullmetal Alchemist's a franchise that i think could do the jump to live-action quite well, it's not exactly something that only works in it's medium, in fact some of the more manga types of jokes sometimes fell weird in the athmosphere of the show.

The Shonens i think could be adapted better are Fullmetal Alchemist and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the later would work very well with a Sam Raimi type of comedy and exageration.

I can see your point with DB, Naruto and Bleach, but all of them start with a self centered arc that doesn't necessarily ask for sequels, Naruto starts with Zabusa arc, which is good and easy to adapt, Bleach can adapt the first 3 volumes, with the gran fisher arc as the main story.

Those 2 start with easy to adapt stories, it's true however that once you do a sequel to them it's going to take many films before you end the story, unless they make Bleach a trilogy and end it with Soul Sociey as was the original idea.

Dragon Ball has an interesting world and different stories to pick, it wasn't as hard to adapt as Evolution made it seem, you simply have to pick this simple idea of a kid discovering the world for the first time, and unlike Naruto and Bleach you can do a sequel and not expect 5 more movies.

As for the ages, the Twilight series (sorry for this example) had 5 movies and the characters aged like 1 or 2 years, that can be done with these films too as the characters age more than in the manga but still slower than other franchises.

As for One Piece i agree, it's something that works beautifully in it's medium but would have a hard time becoming live-action, on the other hand, of all the franchises it seems like the one that would get more help from it's creator is this, Oda seems like somebody that would try to get very heavily involved with it, which would be a good thing.

After seeing photos and videos of Oz: The Great and Powerful i'm starting to think they could also pull off the effects and the crazy world of OP, however it not only needs somebody with a vision but it's also so long that if adapted it would have to be divided into sagas for the adaptation as this:
Film 1: East Blue
Film 2: Baroque Works
Film 3: Skypiea
Film 4: CP9
Film 5: Whitebeard War
Film 6: Fishman Island
Film 7: New World (which seems to be going to end after the alliance takes down one of the Yonko)

Like this the series itself the film series would be very long too, possibly reaching 10 films, and each saga has a lot of content that it makes it difficult to compress into a 2-3 hours movie. This is like Avengers, a franchise that should only be touched by fans of the manga that are conected with Disney.

Since OP didn't really take off in the USA i doubt they will try to touch it anytime soon, which is a good thing for the timebeing. Meanwhile i think Fullmetal Alchemist and Bleach are their safest options, Bleach is being adapted and acording to the people behnd it it's going to be set in Japan, now we just have to hope they know how to cast and have a decent enough script.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote