View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #652
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Par

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
This is from a panel of the great 1973 story of silver age Superman's origin.

And even if Superman doesn't feel that way when it comes to his foster parents. It's still a big part of getting to the character in other conflicts and stories. People say Superman is boring because he is too powerful. Well guess what, even with all his powers he can't save everyone or everything, and that's a great way to show Superman overcome that, it's a part of what makes him tick.

And it's not so much about guilt (it sure wasn't in STM) but more about coming to that realization and making it a part of your character, it's a huge part of Superman's humbleness imo.
Exactly

It's about coming to terms with mortality, and yeah, when your a super powered being whose mortality is a little different, it may take some moping in Alaska to come to terms with the fact that people around you are going to slip through your fingers and you may end up alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Orphaned heroes (either literal or figurative orphans) are quite common within the “monomyth.” Note Moses, Cinderella, Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker - as well as Batman, Superman, Spider-Man, et. al.

Though… it might be argued that since Supes underwent the tragedy once (with his biological parents) a repetition isn’t necessary.
Same could be argued with Spiderman, as his parents are already dead when Uncle Ben then dies. And with Harry Potter, since Sirius dies too.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*