View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #102
Fading
>:(

Default Re: One Piece discussion (Spoilers)

Honestly, anime in general isn't that popular here from what I've seen personally. Unless it's Dragon Ball, Gundam, Naruto, or the current kid friendly flavor of the month (Pokemon, Yugioh, Bakugan). I think part of the problem, outside of a lot of people being very anti entertainment from another country here, is censorship. They try too hard to make every anime PG so they can market it to kids.

They ended up utterly butchering One Piece during their first attempt. I still see people online dismissing One Piece because they saw the english dub, and assumed that's just how the series is. They edited the art, characters, music, it almost was an entirely different franchise.

They did the same with Shin-Chan. They took clips of it, and made it about kids hanging out on the play ground. Adult Swim showed the actual show, perverted humor, and all, and it was better received. Problem is any anime showing blood, featuring cussing has to be shown late night, or on a special channel like HBO. Meaning minimal crowd. Even then they typically air on Adult Swim which is even more niche, and typically has fans writing in for more Family Guy, and less anime, which moved it all back to just to late Saturday Night.

I guess I'm saying because of how our culture views anime for the most part, One Piece is practically non-existant in the US. Sure, there are those of us (like in this thread) in the US who talk online about it, but it's more of a cult type following like we have for movies like Evil Dead. I've walked into Comic stores, and hobby shops with DBZ, Gundam, Naruto, and Bleach merchandise, but never One Piece.

Last edited by Fading; 01-29-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Fading is offline   Reply With Quote