View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #440
JAKŪ
Upstart

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
But see, that's where a good actor comes in to imbues the character with something beyond what's on the page. Sure, on paper Blake is generic as it gets. But I thought he was well executed. You can really feel the pent up anger boil to the surface during that bridge sequence in the climax. You see a guy who desperately wants to believe that justice can prevail within the system, placing his trust in the cops to do the right thing, wanting them to see he's one of them. And he just explodes with rage once he realizes how deeply f***ed the situation is. I thought it was raw and engaging. Again, comes down to performance. It's also not true that him losing his family is never expressed in his later actions, as his repulsed reaction to killing that guy with a gun is a directly calls back to his father being shot over a gambling debt.

Nolan has that luxury in his career now where he can write a pretty basic bare bones character to service his film's ideas, aim high with the casting, and rely on that to give it the emotional believability it needs. I take both writing and performance into account when assessing how I feel about a character.
Hm. You may have convinced me slightly. I must admit that JGL's acting ability did make me like the character. In fact I probably liked him more than Bruce Wayne in TDK.

Still, even on first viewing his explanation of how he deduced Batman's identity came across as weak.