View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #441
kvz5
HBIC

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I posted this in another thread, and still stand by it:

Blake is two-dimensional. He's a perfect Gary Stu character who has no flaws and no real struggles. He magically intuits that Bruce is Batman. He's apparently the only cop on the force with half a brain other than Gordon. He's tossed the keys to the batcave without ever proving to Bruce or to the audience that he deserves it or has earned it. Basically Bruce goes "oh this guy sympathizes with me here's the keys bro have fun." After being so careful to keep his stuff from falling into the wrong hands, into the hands of someone who would misuse it, Bruce trusts a guy who he has known for about five or six scenes with all of it.

The guy was an unbelievable, two-dimensional, flawless, flat character who was wholly uninteresting. One sob story about losing his father and being angry about it does not a character make, especially when that never gets expressed later at any point in his actions.

Good characters are written according to the addage "show, don't tell." Blake never showed that he was anything but two-dimensional. Oh, he'd "tell" some backstory in here or there, but that doesn't make him a character. He'd "tell" that he is angry all the time, but we never saw it (unlike with Bruce). It makes him a cardboard cut-out with a cliched backstory.
Gary Stu is exactly the first thing I thought of after watching TDKR. He was created to fix all the flaws Nolan dumped on Gordon, Bruce, and Batman's characters. Blah. It was the first JGL character that I really disliked. I was surprised that he got more praise than Hardy from the critics. *shrug*