View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #94
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Default Re: How do we avoid the third act curse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
I disagree here. Iron Man 2 actually committed some common 3rd act mistakes, with the overloaded plot, unnecessary villain alliances and seeming to be more interested in a down-the-road spin-off than in its own plot. The only thing it DIDN'T have was the gratuitous death of a major character. It is my hope that with those mistakes out of the way, the 3rd will shine brighter than either of its predecessors.
How was the villain alliance unnecessary? It seemed to flow pretty organically to me. I'd say it would have been better served as a film to put all the War machine stuff off for another film and use that time to better explore the villains(especially Whiplash) but the way they went hardly caused the film to implode. Rather it just ended up with good when we could have had great.

And by gratuitous death of a major character I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you are referring to Stane in the first film? Well in the comics they only fought once as well and then Stane died so I can't fault them for sticking to the source material(though it would have been nice to see a defeated Stane kill himself rather than be captured and sent to prison as it happened in the comics,but it was still basically the same thing).