View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #36
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
From the previous thread…

As far as I know, not even the revisionists are suggesting truly radical revisionism (e.g., Superman in a track suit - because, hey, that’s way more realistic than ye olde tights and cape.) I think most folks (the general public, as well as fans) accept the “symbolism” and the genre convention of the (super)hero donning some manner of distinct and outré uniform. Moreover, and notwithstanding modernization, there’s almost always some allegiance to tradition. E.g., Burton’s “new” Batman costume still retains the cape, the eared cowl, etc. Ditto for Thor, CA, Green Arrow, etc. And while there will always be debates about where the right “tradition/modern” balance is, most seem to accept that a balance - of some kind - is necessary.

I still go back to this foundational principle: Superman was conceived as a dashing, romantic, “cool” hero. S&S weren’t going for laughs or doing satire; in their minds, the classic Supes costume was supposed to be impressive, imposing and worthy of a larger-than-life champion. In other words, the costume is merely a representation or symbol for a larger concept. So if, over the course of time, some elements of the costume (e.g., the trunks) become (for whatever reason) stigmatized, you alter them - because the first duty is to the concept and not the superficial details.
The point I'm trying to make is that it's much harder to quantify good/clever/cool changes to a costume that was designed more for symbolism rather then function. The rubric for such judgements is far more subjective. For a suit that has a given purpose or function like Batman's, you can more easily judge cool changes to the suit because you can measure them against the suit's purpose. This I think is the essence of modernity in superhero costumes. The general audience puts a premium on reasoning behind everything, or at least the illusion of reasoning behind everything.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 02-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.