View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #674
Manic X
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan’s acting in X3 is every bit as good as it was in X-MEN and X2. If anything, it may well be better, because they are asked to do more, and to play a larger range of emotions, including some very intense ones.

What stupid stuff? The stupidest thing Magneto says in the movie is probably the stuff about “The pawns go first”, which is actually not a bad line, and makes perfect sense in context.

How on Earth are these “horrible” lines? They’re simple, straightforward lines about a given moment.

Xavier talked about being psychic several times during the franchise. He’s using a bit of levity in a moment of normal interaction to make Storm open up to him. He’s saying “I could read your mind, but I can tell you’re upset, let’s talk about it”.

Pretty much anything they said was on par with anything seen in X-MEN or X2. People seem to forget that much of Xavier and Magneto’s dialogue in X-MEN and X2 was exposition. Ably played by Stewart and McKellan, but exposition nonetheless. There’s an evolution of their characters throughout the franchise, and X3 is the pinnacle of those character arcs. The dialogue reflects this.

Bingo. And it always has. People seem to be on this kick the last few years where they must pretend the whole thing sucked to justify disliking it.

Other than the fact that his delivery of it is a tad clipped/rushed (which, again, makes sense in the context of the scene) and this is a little on the nose (which, again, makes sense in the context of the scene) why is this inherently a bad moment?

That’s one line…what are the myriad other “conspicuously poor” lines?

Yes. It IS suddenly introduced. Just like EVERY NEW CONCEPT in the franchise, the first time it shows up, is “suddenly introduced”. It’s called “introducing a new concept”. Writers do it constantly in storytelling.

So you hate the fact that the scenes between Cyclops and Jean are clearly building tension, culminating in an intense sense of urgency?

What is there to explain about “Get to Alkali Lake”? It’s meant to be an urgent order that retains a sense of mystery about what had happened, which it does.

So you have issues with the normal writing tools used in the film…but not one of the weakest actors in the film? Makes sense...

I’m sorry…POWER RANGER-y?

“What’s wrong” means “What’s wrong?”

“No clue” means “I don’t know”.

People talk like that in real life, yes…even adults. What exactly is the problem with this exchange?

Some of these complaints are just absurd, and really not very objective. There's an obvious bias against this movie, and it's not really based in anything sensible anymore.
Love this post. The main reason fanboys want to hate x3 is because cyclops dies, prof x dies, and rogue takes the cure. But really, the movie is solid. I put it above x1 and x2. It's more watchable.