View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #334
American Maid
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I entirely agree; I think even Feige mentioned that the whole issue of them just having really known each other for 3 Earth Days will be brought up in regards to validating on whether what they have is the real deal or just something that they experienced in the heat of the moment during their time together.
Yes. And really, Feige is being generous. It was more like 36 hours.

Quote:
And even though we didn't get to see Jane and Sif interact with each other much, I wonder if Jane will be shown to pick up on how long Sif and Thor have been friends and wonder to herself if Sif is someone that Thor may have turned his affections to during their (Jane and Thor's) time away from each other.
I think you are suggesting Jane might wonder about Thor and Sif during the time between the Thor1 and Thor2 movies, though let me know if that's not what you meant.

The most overt clue we have from Thor1 is the anguished look Sif gives Thor when he tells her to withdraw from the battle with the Destroyer, to live and tell stories of glory herself. Next, when Thor tosses aside Sif's shield and faces down the Destroyer, Jane takes notice and says, "Wait, what is he doing?" So I suspect Jane's attention was not on Thor and Sif at the moment I just described. Any other interaction between Thor and Sif showing any history would have been a lot more subtle, and harder to read.

For that reason, I doubt Jane would have sensed a specific history between Thor and Sif. But in the years that follow, while she is questioning whether Thor is still interested in her or has moved on, I agree that it seems likely to me that she would speculate that maybe his attention has turned elsewhere, such as to Sif.

Quote:
Nevertheless, aside from her own arc with Foster, I do hope that Jane is shown to have a good arc of her own that isn't just tied to her romantic relationship with Thor; I would think that even Natalie would want for the character to do something more than just that.
I do too! And I agree, Portman would want the character to make other contributions. (most actors want their characters to contribute and/or grow)

What would you like to see in such an arc for Jane?

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote