View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #478
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I'm with the majority on this one. The Avengers is a fun flick and is a great ending to "Phase One" of the Marvel Cinematic Universe but it wasn't something truly amazing, or something that really meant something on film as The Dark Knight Rises was, but that doesn't keep Avengers from being my second favorite CBM. It's really awesome to say two CBMs that came out in the same year became my two favorite CBMs, but I can only view Avengers as for what it is, a fun CBM. Nothing with the heart and soul that TDKR carried from beginning to end.
I feel the exact opposite. I felt like TDKR was given to us simply because the fans wanted it, and was lacking a lot of the care and heart that the first two had. It had a nice facade of heart, but it left me feeling really empty. Especially the whole "this is the end, but is it really the end?" ending. The entire movie just felt like an obligatory trilogy-ender instead of something crafted with care and dedication.

Avengers, on the other hand delivered more than I expected. I was completely expecting a cash-in on the previous successes of Marvel Studios. Instead, it increased the depth of the MCU a great deal and gave us a grande, cohesive super hero universe in movie form. Which had never been done before. It also reflected a great deal of optimism and hope in an increasingly complicated world.

A lot of people say that the Avengers was a Michael Bay-esque popcorn flick. But just because a movie's themes and meaning aren't pounded into you heavy-handedly doesn't mean that they aren't there. That's why I hate it when people call the Avengers fun, but shallow.