View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #464
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Default Re: Has Batman hurt the genre where costumes are concerned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I love the new direction of the Superman suit myself. Didn't want tights nor did I want red trousers, although I think there should have been some red on his suit where the trousers would've been.

I'm kinda on the fence with the whole "red trunks, no red trunks" debate. I grew up on Superman movies and comics, and don't really see the need to change his look. On the other hand, the new look doesn't really bother me that much.

What does bother me about his outfit, and the SMR costume, is the butt ugly shades of blue, red, and yellow they chose. It's like they're trying to turn Superman into a dark, serious, "Batman-like" character by giving him a darker outfit and, possibly, a personality to match.

Superman doesn't have a dark and serious personality. He never did, and IMO, he never should. He's the ultimate Boyscout. Always helpful, always friendly, always courteous. He didn't choose to become a Superhero because muggers killed his parents. He chose to become a superhero because he believes it's the right thing to do. He could wipe out crime easily by going all Punisher on the criminal element. What mugger would ever leave his home if he knew a homicidal Kryptonian vigilante was flying about? But he doesn't. He controls himself and takes criminals in alive.

Thus the BRIGHT red, blue, and yellow costume.

Is Tim Burton to blame? I don't know. But that's my 2 cents.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote