View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #54
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Default Re: It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's the Superman Costume Thread! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Of course, tastes will always be subjective and individually valid. But we can (and do) give weight to consensus - a kind of (provisional) “objectivity.”
Totally agree.

Quote:
So for instance… while you can’t call my love for disco leisure suits wrong, you can say that I’m out of step with consensus. And you can legitimately advise that if I dressed my cool hero in a disco leisure suit, I likely wouldn’t get a favorable reaction from audiences.
True, without context, disco suits are passe. However, if you were a disco dancer trying to emulate the 70's, or if you're filming a period piece that takes place in the 70's, I'd likely have no problem with your choice of outfit because it makes sense for what you're trying to do. You're giving a context in which it's acceptable. Dressing a super hero up in a disco outfit wouldn't make sense because it's completely out of context.

...Unless it's a satirical superhero that supposedly lived during the 70's and was a vigilante or something. I can think of a few scenarios where it would make sense actually.

Quote:
By the same token… (and this is entirely hypothetical ) if a majority of people think of the red trunks as passé, the object of ridicule or otherwise distracting, then this is a fact about popular opinion.
Agreed, but it doesn't address the reasoning why they find it passe. Today's audiences need logic and context. Without context then sure, they look silly and literally like he's wearing underwear on the outside. However if there's a reasoning and logic behind the design choice, people would be able to buy it more easily.

The dilemma is that I can't think of a logical creative reason why Superman would wear red trunks on the outside. Not saying it's impossible, but regardless, that would be the key to getting people to lay off the trunks hate.

Quote:
So what to do? One option is to just ignore consensus - decide that tradition is more important than popularity. The other is to adapt and evolve (in order to preserve the original, underlying “meaning” that I alluded to earlier).
You can swing the concensus with logic though. If you're brilliant enough to give a logic to the tradition, then it's win win for everybody. If not, then the only way to adapt without completely alienating the traditionalists or the public is to come up with a really cool origin for the suit and a reasoning why it looks the way it looks.

Personally I like it the way it is, but that's just me.