View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #558
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Song of Ice and Fire books

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticOne View Post
I care. I like that GRRM has introduced so many characters. If gives us very vast and different POVs of the people in Westeros and that world in general. We get to see how events impact certain Houses and places and people. If it only stuck to perspectives of the Starks or Lannisters, we would be wondering what the hell everybody else is thinking, or at least I would.
To a point, I agree. But the story is truly about the Starks and Lannisters, as well as the Baratheons and Targaryans. Seeing the Tullys through Cat's eyes, the riverlands on fire through Arya's or the VAle through Tyrion and Sansa's is great. Even seeing the Greyjoys and Pyke through the POV of Theon, as he is/was a major player in the stories of Robb and later Bran, feels crucial and world building. Then when we follow Asha after she was so important to Theon, it is likewise organically building on what was there.

But in the last two books, we are introduced to an army of new characters with no connection at all to the first three books worth of major players. And while it is interesting to see what is happening in Dorne or the Iron Islands post-Balon, etc. etc. it feels irrelevant to the three main story threads which remain: the battle for the Iron Throne, the battle for the Wall as winter nears and Danys's ever slow creep towards Westeros.

When you have 400 or 500 pages in each book devoted solely to developing the Maesters or the Dornish in ways that feel completely inconsequential to the plot, there's a problem. That is why the two most recent books have been so coldly received as of late.

--John Adams