View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #164
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Official Ant-Man News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon View Post
Lang would be absurd as an MCU Avenger. Didn't say anything about his Avenger-ness legitimacy elsewhere. You can't inundate the silver screen with the same character density as a comic book (multi)verse. Therefore I feel the priority is to have mostly classic Avengers. It's worrying that we already have the lame Falcon coming in. Why would we want to make it even further extra-extra-lame by throwing Lang in there, too? Does not compute AFAIC.

My worry is that after the "To Steal an Ant-Man" arc is complete, who cares about Scott Lang? You can't have one-off plot device characters (which I'm suspecting the Falcon and Lang to be) and then make them Avengers. Granted, not all Avengers are/will be heavy hitters, but even the "minor" ones should come with some sort of built-in audience affinity towards them. I just think it's beyond the pale that we might not get all of the core classic group together on the silver screen with the current crop of actors.
"Lame" Falcon.....?!?!?

I'd be tickled pink to see Falcon AND War Machine join the Avenger ranks --- and rightfully so, according to Holy Comic Book Canon. The team needs the diversity that the Avengers are famous for. Less whitebread sausage factory, and more global diversity, which is what the team is all about.

As for Lang, I agree with you that he's really a one-note character. "To Steal an Ant-Man" is a solid story arc with some great motivations and characterizations and drama, and I can see why Wright is so enraptured with it. But once you move beyond that story, there's not much left to tell: Lang becomes a D-list Avenger, Cassie gets better (and eventually becomes a superheroine in her own right), Lang gets blown up (along with the rest of the Avengers Mansion) by Jack of Hearts. The End.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Lang die a noble death at the end of Ant-Man, and have the future of the helmet and suit fall to Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne, rightfully so, and have them take their proper place in the Avenger pantheon. We really don't need to see Lang (or Ant-Man) again, ever ---- just Giant-Man and Wasp. i.e., Avenger Icons.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014