View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #314
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Kevin Feige says no to another Hulk Movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
What I'm saying is there's no *motivation* for a Civil War in the MCU. Civil War comes about in the comics as a result of massive collateral damage created by irresponsible supers (well, actually, by the irresponsible producers of a reality TV show, but hey, why confront Mark Millar with one of many, many, many plotholes), and causes the superhero community to address the age-old question of "who watches the watchmen." Again, the reason it's necessary in the comics is because so many superheroes have been acting as masked vigilantes with no oversight, and no way for innocent civilians to protect themselves or seek redress against above-the-law godlings who act as judge, jury and executioner on city streets.

That scenario in no way, shape or form exists within the MCU. (Yet.) Nobody in the MCU tries to hide their identity; nobody in the MCU is a vigilante; nobody in the MCU even acts as a crimefighter. Until you start getting that kind of superhero in the mix, there's no impetus for a Civil War. MCU heroes are generally known to the public (SHIELD agents notwithstanding; but they're government agents already) and have shown no indication that they want to go around acting like Spider-Man or Punisher or Daredevil, arbitrarily meting out justice on their own terms.
Yeah, if you can get a Civil War out of the existing MCU, then next we should expect a civil war between the CIA, FBI, Homeland Security or any of these other non-vigilante, govt-sanctioned organisations... just because they don't agree with each other.

Even with a few vigilantes in the MCU like Punisher and Daredevil, whom Marvel do own, there aren't so many of them that it's out of hand. There could be as many as there are vigilantes in the real world who take matters into their own hands. Isn't Punisher's identity known anyway? It would only really be DD who has a secret identity, and whether he keeps it secret from SHIELD is another matter.