View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #51
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: The Star Wars Fanbase - How do they feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiestarr View Post
Star Wars was ALWAYS made as something for kids. Watch/read/look at anything about the creation of the 1977 film, and you will see that Lucas was making a film for a new generation of kids.

I mean, much as I love it, the Original Trilogy was not lauded as being great for it's dialogue/acting/character development/plot- meaning, a mature movie for grownups that kids could get into. It was a movie for the youth that grownups kind of dug as well.

Ever see the Star Wars episode of That 70's Show? The father's negative response to seeing Star Wars is a typical reaction from many adults upon the film's first release.
Yes one parent said he did not like it. There is a reason most of these films are taught in film school, and by many film scholars regarded so high. To me again you are doing what lots of PT defenders do. Rip on the OT because you don't point out any merit in the PT instead to make a solid point.

Was the OT's acting the best? Compared to what? Like The Godfather? No it was not. However it was still great acting that did it's job, make you emotionally care about the characters and feel the soul of the film itself. The PT did not do that. It had no emotion it had no character evolution (minus story evolution) it was just there. I will bet you 100 dollars here and now in 20 years the PT will not be seen like the OT.

Remember....the original Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture, that is saying something. The film was at the time regarded very highly by the film world too. To say not is just not true at all. You are acting as if people did not like Star Wars at first, then grew on it except kids. Not true at all. It became the phenomena it was for a reason. In terms of ticket sales....the PT never touched any of the OT sales. There is reason behind that too. Star Wars became what it was because of high quality film. And still stands up today by most people because of that. The PT clearly has not stood up because a massive amount of people think either meh, it was okay, to poor. While the OT is always seen in much higher regards.

Last edited by Solidus; 02-07-2013 at 11:19 AM.