View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #56
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: The Star Wars Fanbase - How do they feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiestarr View Post
Wow. Kind of getting personal? I think I have made solid points. I love the OT and have told you that. I am simply trying to look at both trilogies objectively and don't really have a horse in the PT VS OT race. Again, any "negative" thing I say about the OT is in the interest in of being objective. Please don't take it as an attack on your position or those films. You don't have to convince me of their merits/significance/or how many college professors use them in their classes. I know.

Listen, all I am saying is that, if you look at both Trilogies objectively, there is not a huge difference in acting quality/skills. If you prefer Mark Hamill's acting to Ewan Mcgregor's, that's fine. But there are examples of good and clunky acting in both. It's like Harrison said, "You can type this ****, but you cannot say it."

Again, I am not fighting you here. Emotions and character evolution are subjective to the audience. As characters, the fact is that Anakin evolves as Luke does. You may not like how it's shown, but the character does evolve.

In 20 years the Prequels and OT will be even more lumped together and referred to both as "the old" Star Wars.

I am happy that you are so passionate about Star Wars, and the Original Trilogy. I am too. I will defend Star Wars to my last breath and can challenge anyone to why Empire is a better sequel than Godfather II , if needed.

The fact is NO MOVIES have touched what Star Wars (1977) did. None of it's sequels/prequels. Not Avatar, LOTR, Dark Knight, Titanic, E.T. etc. You don't need to tell me of it's impact/success. I know. That does not negate that it was made primarily for a young audience.

Honestly, though, you seem to be getting upset at some of my positions as you are on the defensive about my posts addressed to others.

You seem to be taking it like I am trying to "tear down" the OT to hold up the PT. I am not. I am just taking an objective look at both, and more on point, why there is such a divide amongst the fan base. Again, there are no "sides" that I am on. You don't have to convince me of the awesomeness of the Original Trilogy. However, being the age that you are, you have experienced/live thru the saga differently than me.

You were born, and the OT was over. So any experience you have about 1977-1985 you have heard or read about. Don't get me wrong, this doesn't negate ANY of your positions, but I would hope that you would be a bit open minded about this old school Star Wars fans take on the new school of Star Wars. That's what the OP asked for, and that's what I am giving. My opinion is not an attack/affront on anything. Please don't take it that way, because I am not trying to speak for you.
Again that is fine. Of course I'm passionate about it. However, just because I was not around during the OT does not mean that there are tons that are that just like me hated the PT. The PT just did not have the significance that the OT did have. LOTR and TDK were the big talked about films that really shook up the industry and garnered attention from every angle.

But I'm just posting back with what I feel is wrong about some of those arguments. I think we are having a good debate, some of those things I admit I took personally because it felt like you were going after me with it. The age thing I think is not as important. It was widely talked about right away that people were mixed (especially about Episode I and II). And that was taken as a surprise. The biggest news that the PT still carries 10 years later is the controversy and the split of it. The OT, not the case. Still seen as classics and that is what is talked mainly about with them.

But it's okay we are getting both sides out there. I am objective as well. I went into the PT with no judgments. With all three of them I gave them chances, my original post in this thread stated that. And I kinda liked them. But as I got older I became more objective and not surrounded by the hype, or the name Star Wars and looked at it differently.