View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #945
Vid Electricz
Banned User

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I like the 60's cheese... it made me buy comics in the 70's & the 80's... and somewhere along the lines of 1985, comics became "serious", and while there are some brilliant gems in the new serious tone; Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Preacher, The Dark Knight Returns, HellBlazer, etc... I can still enjoy classic 60's style stories... why? BECAUSE THEY ARE FUN!!!!

Thanks for listening.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE the 60's ASM comics. The Lee/Ditko run has never been topped in my opinion. They did something new that people are still trying to emulate today!

The reason comics became serious is because artists like Frank Miller and Alone Moore etc... showed what could be accomplished in a medium which was widely accepted as "kids stuff". Expectations were raised in terms of what we should expect in terms of storytelling quality- and rightly so.

The character of Spider-Man has become stagnant though. Marvel won't let him grow and prefers he remain in a state of arrested development. Not many interesting stories you can tell in those confines.

But Marvel's not interested in telling interesting, compelling stories, they're interested in selling books. Every month there's an "event that will shake the world of (insert character) to their core!" It's all a gimmick. Just like this mind swap stuff. In a years time (just in time for the movie! How about that!), all this Ock stuff will be over and everything will return to the status quo as though it never happened. How dreadfully boring.

Comics can be fun without resorting to poor, gimmicky storytelling! Just because it's not "dark" and "super serious" doesn't mean it has to be cheesy and gimmicky either.