View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #109
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Default Re: The Star Wars Fanbase - How do they feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilIsMe View Post
I'm giving you my impression, not an assumption. If I can come in, expose myself to Star Wars fandom online in the form of PodCasts, YouTube videos, 90 minute reviews, endless comments, forums, news articles, debates and even documentaries for months - and come out with the impression that those that passionately and vocally (key word) oppose the PT are more mean-spirited in general - then that does say something. And I do get the impression that many that are hostile to those that oppose the PT have likely been conditioned to be that way - and I think everyone knows why.

If you're trying to say "Both sides are equally bad" then I call that a false equivalency. I got the steady impression that one side is generally worse than the other.

If those that dislike the PT had moved on after a year or so and not waged a war on the films and Lucas (and occasionally the fans of the PT themselves) then I highly doubt 'Entire Saga' fans would be as hostile.

When there's a documentary made against the PT by those that dislike it, you know disdain has gone too far and taken over. It's even touched on in 'The People VS George Lucas'.
I just disagree, and to me it's scratching the surface. If you are really doing a research project I figured you would look deeper into it. Impressions are one things, but looking into it deeper is different. Are you really writing this or was your purpose to get this debate going?

You would not know if the fans would not be as hostile. How has it gone too far? If the documentary has a lot of lies or things wrong I would say okay. But I think many feel these documentaries have solid stuff behind it. Again they are attacking the films and the creator as you would if someone made you a poorly constructed chair. It's again they attack that. While the PT guys attack those that attack the films instead of actually try to debate against it as much. To me who's right and wrong with the fighting? I dunno. But I think that a lot of these OT people have good thoughts/ideas behind them, and great criticism. Passionate? Yes. But still valid points.

Can they not do that? Is there negative people in there? Yes, but again you are looking at the extremes. They are on both sides. To me you've shut your ear on one side, just because one side is louder, does not mean they are necessarily the negative/evil ones.

There are many like myself, especially on these boards, they talk mainly about just the actual films. Like I've been doing and regwec and Jamiestarr. However Jedi-spirit came in and made some harsher points about how we are just haters. Again he attacked us, not our arguments. Get where I'm coming from?