View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Star Trek Fans and Doctor Who

I think that one reason why Doctor Who is so successful and has lasted so long is that people seem to have an obsession with British culture & entertainment. Everything British! BBC has become so popular.

James Bond, Harry Potter, Sherlock, Lord of the Rings, Masterpiece Anthology/Downtown Abbey, and Doctor Who. Almost anything to do with fantasy (such as Game of Thrones) will give their characters British accents... for some reason. I don't understand why Americans especially are so obsessed. Perhaps they just really like their accents?

I know this girl who is a HUGE Doctor Who fan, who is trying to get me to watch it. I said I would if she watches Star Trek. The very next day, the girl tells me that she couldn't make it past the first 5 minutes of the pilot to TNG, because of how cheesy it was. If anything, Doctor Who is so much cheesier than Star Trek. I mean, the first episode of the revival series has a girl being chased by mannequins.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"

Last edited by Picard Sisko; 02-08-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote