View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #334
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Yes, but you're still stuck on the close minded viewpoint that storytelling needs to be consistently logical. Where there are HUGE schools of thought and theory that espouse differently.

Expressionism itself is defined as;*Its typical trait is to present the world solely from a subjective perspective, distorting it radically for emotional effect in order to evoke moods or ideas. Expressionist artists sought to express meaning*or emotional experience rather than physical reality."

And that's exactly the type of approach that that scene - and all of Burton's Batman films - take. That's the point. That's the purpose. To slight it because it prescribes to that type of art form is like finding fault in someone believing in a different school of religion than you do; there's no objective positive or negative about it. Rather, it's merely a different way of creating art.
Yes, I do feel storytelling needs to be consistent and logical. It needs to make sense. If you enjoy the film, I won't take that away from you. But, for me, I can't stand Burton's style of film making. I feel that he goes too far with it. Things do have to make logical sense, if they don't, it's usually a problem. In this case, I feel it's a problem. For me, it takes me completely out of it. You can't just completely ignore the logic in the universe of the film and call it art because it means something. Visuals are important in making a film (obviously) but they shouldn't take priority over something making sense, imo.

But, I feel we're going nowhere with this discussion, so it may be best if we just end it.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote