View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
??? Precisely. And this is your reason to invite Berry back? Because -- at the actress's demand -- her character was already manipulated to the films' forefront more than once (and artificially, at that)?

(Lightning: I like you and know you've been around for a while, but really?)

Yes, maneuvering has its place in Hollywood. But do you have any better justification for Storm being in the film other than "the fans deserve it"?

People also seem to be assuming that the character/actress were part of the equation from the beginning, when maybe...they weren't.
I believe you're oversimplifying my post. That's not my main reason for saying the character should be in DoFP. To the contrary, it's because that's what's in the source material.

Now...if we're saying "To hell with the DoFP storyline" (which is sacred for most of us 616ers) then that's fine. But to imply that we're saying Storm should be forced into this film "just because" we want to see her (or Halle Berry) is missing the entire point.

The facts are crystal clear:

1.) X3 left Storm in charge as Headmistress while Xavier and Scott were MIA

2.) This film is a future event post-X3

3.) The Days Of Future Past source material calls for Storm to have a role in the storyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy
NanaT wrote that she "rightfully deserves to be in this movie." Her position at the end of the last film, or previous treatment therein, doesn't "entitle" the actress or her character to anything.

No character or person "rightfully deserves" anything in life. There are no "just deserves" -- only reality and fantasy. Hollywood operates on the borderline of both, yes.*

This is not what you want to hear...but the cold, hard reality is that hardcore fans don't account for enough box office to truly have any significant impact on a studio/franchise matter such as this.

Bottom line -- if Singer wants her in the film, he'll find a way...and it sounds (however vaguely) like he doesn't.
And therein lies the misunderstanding.

I don't really give a damn about the studio politics, or who got more screen-time at the expense of who in 2006. Those of us who were in this forum 7 years ago have had those arguments and they're old as hell now. But the truth? Those politics have created a narrative that we can't just suddenly (and conveniently) forget as you and this X4ever user are suggesting.

Bottom line: No one is crying for Storm to be the lead girl here at all. No. Body. But yes, the character certainly does have a right to be in the film and it's important to differentiate the character of Storm from the actress Halle Berry. Let's not confuse who has actual rights. If DoFP was written differently it'd be different. Does Halle Berry have "rights" to anything? No. I agree with you. But the character she's playing is an entirely different story. Do you disagree with that? Honestly?

Therefore...there won't be any of this s*** happening either.

If this film is a sequel to X3, they need to treat it as such. And that means there are loose ends. One of them involves Storm and it's just that simple.

Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 02-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.