View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #766
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: The IRON MAN 3 News & Speculation Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
If you mean from the people supporting the idea of Rescue Armor, then yeah, I agree it's borderline sexist. Making Pepper too weak to handle things herself; letting Tony treat her like his own personal property that he can put under lock and key ("don't scratch the paint, dude")....yeah, pretty sexist.

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have ever seen. How is it sexist to give Pepper a means of protection when Tony knows damn well that she is in danger? When it comes to terrorists launching all-out assaults against their shared home, neither she nor Tony can handle things themselves without some technology to assist them. Tony has his armor, but what does Pepper have?

As I said above, being a strong woman does not make her bulletproof or immune to harm from rockets, explosions, etc. Pepper is a human being, just as Tony is, and as such is physically vulnerable just as he is without his armor. Acknowledging that vulnerability and mitigating it does not make Pepper weak; on the contrary, it strengthens her by preventing her from becoming a victim or a pawn. Stating that giving her armor is sexist is nonsense when in fact not giving her some form of protection would be downright negligent on Tony's part. Pepper is smart and resourceful, no doubt about that, but those traits won't prevent her from being killed when missiles are being fired at her. Armor will, and it might be enough to keep her out of the proverbial fridge.

Most major global corporations provide security details for their top executives, male and female, because the threat of kidnapping and assassination is very real. Executives and their relatives have been kidnapped and killed even here in the US by run-of-the-mill criminals as well as organized groups. (One of the Coors founders comes to mind, as do Patty Hearst, a Getty heir and an Exxon exec.)

Would you argue that Tony was being sexist if he provided those standard security measures for Pepper? If so, why; if not, what is the real difference between that and giving her armor? To me, giving Pepper armor is different from giving her armed guards only in form, not in substance.