View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Default Re: Star Trek Fans and Doctor Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I know this girl who is a HUGE Doctor Who fan, who is trying to get me to watch it. I said I would if she watches Star Trek. The very next day, the girl tells me that she couldn't make it past the first 5 minutes of the pilot to TNG, because of how cheesy it was. If anything, Doctor Who is so much cheesier than Star Trek. I mean, the first episode of the revival series has a girl being chased by mannequins.
This friend of yours, does she watch the old school Doctor Who as well as the new stuff? Because if she couldn't make it through "Encounter At Farpoint," I doubt she'd be able to watch "Remembrance of the Daleks" (which aired around the same time).

I've always said that if you're going to compare Doctor Who to an American sci-fi franchise, you've got to use Back to the Future. It's not just that they're both about time travel, but they both use a large amount of humor to tell adventurous stories with high stakes and personal consequences for the main character. They also both center around an eccentric old scientist and his plucky young sidekick. And really, a time-space police box is no more absurd than a time-traveling DeLorean or that train from the end of Part 3.